Minutes, Oars Meetings 2018

DRAFT MINUTES MEETING NOVEMBER 2, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

Metting called to order at 7:30 AM. Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, past president Jack Darnton, secretary Priscilla Legg, treasurer Marilyn Sollers,  nineteen members and one guest.  Minutes from October 5 were read and approved.  Minutes from October 19 were read and approved as corrected.

REPORTS

Veterans' Day celebration:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Since the celebration is on November 12, John Guinn has elected not to organize OARS participation, and the board has agreed to follow his decision.

Officer installation:  Cathy Schaeffer:  Party will be a desert potluck at the Seafarers' Park building from 7:00 to 10:00 PM Thurday, November 29 with a presentation by Adair Orr on the 70/48 race.  This is also a 40th anniversary for OARS.

2019 committee chairs:  Peter Hefffelfinger.  Mindy Sorenson has agreed to stay on as membership chair.  Safety chair is still open.  Peter recognized the years of work Bill Testerman has put in on the current web site.

Treasury:  Marilyn Sollers.  October budget report submitted.  OARS purchased a snap setter to replace grommets on the shelter doors, and the doors have been repaired   Shelter maintenance is over budget this year.  Skeg saver built by Charlie Drake for the Annie C cost $180.00

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Reminder:  operation of the boats in the dark requires the boat to have one all-round white light.  

New row:  Skip Dassler.  Skip would like to start a new row at 8:30 on Friday and is looking for rowers.  Newbie rows at this time of year have not generated much interest.  

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  Erica will be moved under the Preston today.  Next year work on the Erica and the Bonaventure is scheduled.  Gear baskets in the boats are being replaced by net bags.  Floorboards on the Annie C are slippery, and cushions still need djustments.

Deaf school:  Cathy Schaeffer.  School had about 100 people for the open house in their new facility in Burlington.  They are now raising money to take the students to Washington D.C.  

Thank you:  David Jackson thanked Cathy Schaeffer for all her efforts on behalf of the OARS.

Meeting adjourned at 8:02.

Priscilla Legg, secretary.

 

MINUTES ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING OCTOBER 19, CATHY SCHAEFFER'S HOUSE

Meeting was called to order at 7:30 AM.  Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, past president Jack Darnton, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, secretay Priscilla Legg, twelve members and one guest. 

Treasury:  Marilyn Sollers,  Expenses for maintenance are running over projected amounts. Income from row cards has already reached projected amounts, so should be higher by the end of the year  Motion:  to accept the proposed 2019 budget.  Passed.

Election of 2019 officers:  Cathy Schaeffer.  The board of directors proposed slate of officers:  president Peter Heffelfinger, vice president Skip Dassler, secretary Nora McMillan, treasurer Marilyn Sollers.  No further nominations were made from the floor.  Motion:  to accept the proposed slate of officers.  Passed.  Committee chairs:  still looking for a safety officer.

Officer installation:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Installation will be a dessert potluck Thursday, November 29,  7:00-10:00 PM with a program by Adair Orr on the 70/48 race.

New meeting location:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Starting in January OARS will have free meeting space in the Seafarer's building.

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Skip presented a draft accident reporting appendix for the manual generating discussion about what is a reportable accident or incident, who should review the report, and language about disciplineary measures.  Skip will present a revised proposal later. 

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  Annie C may be ready to splash today.  The Erica will be pulled, oiled covered and stored under the Preston.  Maintenance on the Bonaventure will be deferred until warmer weatherr in the spring.  Robin is going to change the overhaul schedule to overhaul the boats more frequently.

Website:  Jack Darnton.  Next steps are selecting a web designer and developing a site map.  Jack is working with Jon Hodgdon as potential web master.

Rowing class:  Jack Darnton.  Anacortes city parks department is looking at a potential sampler class with exposure to various water sports.  

Veterans' Day Observance.:  John Guinn.  John plans to lift the boats out to trailers and relaunch them over at Secret Cove on the Guemes Channel to avoid the weather problems of rowing aroung Cap Sante.  Volunteers for the observance should contact John.

Proposed small boat maintenance center:  Robin Pestarino. In January, Kevin Pratt will be starting talks about a small boat maintenance center to possibly be built in the north parking lot.

Shelter:  Susan Guterbock.  Doors on north side of shelter have had broken fasteners replaced.

Meeting adjourned.

Priscilla Legg, secretary.

 

DRAFT MINUTES MEETING OCTOBER 5, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

 Meeting called to order at 7:30 by president Cathy Schaeffer.  Also present:  vice president Peter Heffelfinger, past president Jack Darnton, secretary Priscilla Legg, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, eleven members and one guest.  Minutes from meeting of September 21st were read and approved.

REPORTS

Annual Meeting:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Annual business meeting will be at Cathy Schaeffer's house at the next scheduled meeting on October 19th.  The new officer installation will be on Thursday, November 29th from 7:00 to 10:00 PM at Seafarer's Park with potluck desserts and coffee.  Adair Orr will talk about the 70/48 race.

Treasury:  Marilyn Sollers.  $8000 has been moved from the capital fund to a CD to increase interest earned.  This year's maintenance is coming in over budget.  Marilyn recommends that a finance review committee meet in early January when the newly-elected officer takes over.  Bill Epler, Chuck Ackerman and Cathy Schaeffer volunteered to be on the committee.

Membership;  Mindy Sorenson.  Quarterly membership update was sent to the website, although new names haven't appeared yet.

Safety:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Slip is working on  accident reporting procedures for thr manual.

Maintenance:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Annie C is right side up and waiting for detail work.

Elizabeth Bonaventure:  Cathy Schaeffer.  The Bonaventure has been taken off the market.  Adair Orr is trying to get a program started.  

Grommets:  Torgy is trying new polypropylene material for grommets on the Erica and Glide.

Shelter:  Chuck Ackerman.  Some of the grommets on the north doors to the shelter need replacing.  Marilyn will check on a source for replacements. 

Meetin adjourned at 7:52

Priscilla Legg, secretary

 

 

MINUTES MEETING SEPTEMBER 21, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

President Cathy Schaeffer called the meeting to order at 7:30.  Also present:  vice president Peter Heffelfinger, past president Jack Darnton, secretary Priscilla Legg, treasurer Marilyn Sollers and nine members.  Minutes from September 7th were read and approved.

REPORTS

Annual Meeting:  Cathy Schaeffer.  The annual business meeting will be at 7:30 AM at Cathy Schaeffer's house, 2014 29th place.  The agenda will include the 2019 budget and a proposal to eliminate the family membership dues category.  The installation of officers is scheduled for 7:00 - 10:00 PM Friday, November 30th at the Seafarers' Park building.  Cathy will check on Thursday the 29th availability to save money.

2019 Officers:  Peter Heffelfinger.  Still looking for a secretary.

Magnetic Anomaly:  Peter Heffelfinger.  A letter from Frank Orr said a recent search did not find the reputed anomaly.

Treasury:  Marilyn Sollers.  Marilyn has not received any comments on the proposed budget.  The matter of a financial review committee was referred to the board of directors.

Membership:  Mindy Sorenson.  OARS has 15 new members.  Cathy and Mindy are still trying to arrange some fall sign-up rows for members not on regular crew.  Motion:  that any new membership in October, November, or December include membership for the entire following year.  Passed.  This should be included in the policy manual to be developed.

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Proper lighting in the dark includes one all-round white light.  Masters need to finish their skills check-offs.

Maintenance:  Skip Dassler.  The Annie C is slow going.  Marilyn has made a new bow cover for the Star which should be removed when the boat is taken out as the material will deteriorate in salt water.  Both Skip and Cathy are doing hard work on the oars. They suggest that boats come into the shelter with paddles to minimize the significant wear and tear on the oars and on the boats.  

Don Hume Recognition:  Bill Testerman.  Bill has received a letter from a Sedro Woolley resident interested in having OARS support for naming some venue after the 1936 rowing Olympic gold medalist from Anacortes.  OARS willtry to put new life in the mural project.

Meeting adjourned at 8:12.

Priscilla Legg, secretary

 

 

MINUTES MEETING SEPTEMBER 7, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

President Cathy Schaeffer called the meeting to order at 7:30 AM.  Also present:  past president Jack Darnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, secretary Priscilla Legg and 12 members.  Minutes from meeting August 17 were read and approved.

REPORTS

Annual Meeting:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Annual business meeting will be during the regular meeting at 7:30 AM October 19th at Cathy Schaeffer's house. Renting airpots for coffee costs $15.00 each time.  Motion:  that the club purchase two airpots for coffee.  Passed.  The proposed date for the installation of officers is November 30.  Cathy is still waiting to hear about the use of Seafarer's Park.  Program may include Adair Orr on the 70/48 race and/or Bill Testerman's daughter on the restoration of the Felicity Ann.

2019 Officers:  Peter Heffelfinger.  Peter is looking for someone to be secretary next year.  Some committee chairs may still need to be filled.  Tholepin needs a new editor.

Budget:  Marilyn Sollers.  Marilyn presented the monthly budget report and the proposed 2019 annual budget, as well as a printed  budget narrative.  The proposed budget and narrative will be sent out to all members for further discussion at the next regular meetings and action at the annual meeting.

Membership:  Mindy Sorenson.  Newbie rows coordinated by Chris Mathes have resulted in 15 new members.  Jack Darnton would like to see if the club could organize regular fall sign-up rows with rotating masters for anyone who is not on a regular crew.

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Masters are reminded to complete their yearly skills check-offs.

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  Annie C should be done in two weeks.  Elizabeth Bonaventure will then be pulled for bottom paint.

Logo:  Jack Darnton.  Jack suggests members think about a new logo to go on the proposed new website.

Shelter:  Walter Guterbock. Shelter has new stainless steel ratchets.

Elizabeth Bonaventure:  David Jackson.  Port Townsend Maritime Center may be interested in the boat.  Motion:  That David Jackson have authority to negotiate the sale of the Elizabeth Bonaventure.  Passed.

Meeting adjourned.  

Priscilla Legg, secretary

 

 

 

 

MINUTES MEETING AUGUST 17, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

President Cathy Schaeffer called the meeting to order at 7:30 AM.  Also present:  past president Jack Darnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, secretary Priscilla Legg, 11 membersand 1 guest.  Minutes of August 3 were read and approved.

REPORTS

Saddlebag Picnic:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Boats will leave the shelter at 4:00 PM Wednesday August 22.  Sign up with Cathy. Bring a dish to share and your own utensils and plates.

Elizabeth Bonaventure:  David Jackson.  David is contacting possible buyers for the boat.  Maintenance can be limited to bottom paint if we are selling her.

Emergency Access Maps:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Laminated copies are ready to be put in the boats.

Membership:  Mindy Sorenson.  Welcome new member, Merilee Harrell.  Liability form needs updating, and masters need to sign the form when they have guests on the boat.

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Masters need to finish their skills check-offs for the year.

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  Island Star is back in the water.  Peter Heffelfinger has a video of the launch.  Leather on #4 oar needs repair.  Annie C is out.  New sign-up sheets for work days are down at the shelter.

Annual Meeting:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Business meeting will be on the regular meeting day October 19.  November 30 is a possibility for the officer installationand party.  Possible programs are the 70/48 race bu Adair Orr, and the story of the Felicity Ann with Bill Testerman's daughter Shelley.  Use of Seafarers' Park is still unconfirmed.  Catered desserts and coffee was suggested to replace a meal, or canapes.

Meeting adjourned 8:06 AM.

Priscilla Legg, secretary.

 

 

 

MINUTES OARS MEETING AUGUST 3,  ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

Vice president Peter Heffelfinger called the meeting to order at 7:30 AM.  Also present:  past president Jack Darnton, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, secretary Priscilla Legg and 12 members.  Minutes from July 20 meeting were read and approved.

REPORTS

Treasury:  Marilyn Sollers.  Balances:  operating fund - $9403.50;  community outreach fund - $4728.30;  capital fund - $23,321.17.  

Membership:  Mindy Sorenson.  OARS has two new members from newbie rows, Trisha and Tom Winkler.  Suggested outreach -  some generic signs that can be reused each year, and use of bulletin boards at the marina.  Bill Testerman is updating membership list and will send out a list of new members on the sub list.

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Marilyn is cleaning the pfd bags and they are in the process of being redistributted among the boats.  Torgy is exploring ways to store paddles in the boats to minimize damage to paddles and boats.  Motion: That OARS paddles be permanently marked in some way.  Tabled after discussion of various possibilities.  David Jackson said he would rather make new paddles if they are stolen than have the ones he has made and donated marked.

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  The Star will be turned and ready for the last coat of varnish on Monday.  She will then be splashed and the Annie C pulled.  Sign-up sheets for work crews are in the log book.  The Bonaventure is scheduled for maintenance in the fall.  David Jackson is looking for possible purchasers for the Bonaventure.  She was purchased by the club for $21,000 and is insured for $25,000.

Lady  Oars:  Robin Pestarino.  Next races are September 9 Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival and September 22 at Lake Samish.

Meeting adjourned.

Priscilla Legg, secretary.

 

MINUTES OARS MEETING JULY 20, CATHY SCHAEFFER'S HOUSE

Meeting was called to order at 7:30 AM. Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, past president Jack Darnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, secretary Priscilla Legg and seven members.  Minutes from July 6 were read and approved.

REPORTS

Newbie Rows:  Cathy Schaeffer.  OARS had story and picture in the American and will continue to have listings in the calendar each week.  Three or four people signed up for this week.  Mindy is tracking resulting new memberships.

Website Exploration:  Jack Darnton.  Jack will be talking to Kevin Pratt about the new site for AWA.  Members with interest and/or expertise in website development are encouraged to participate.

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Charlie and Skip are still gathering gear for the Glide.  The Rescue also needs gear.  Charlie will build a new skeg saver for trailering the boats on the ferries.  Motion:  Oars will budget $150.00 for materials for a new skeg saver.  Passed.  Torgy would like to remove some of the bagged life jackets from the boats, since most rowers wear their own.  Motion:  The safety officer should redistribute the onboard bags and life jackets to a minimum of two per boat, excluding the Elizabeth Bonaventure.  Passed.  Marilyn has volunteered to clean the bags.   

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  Work on the Star is proceeding on schedule.  25 members and one nonmember have volunteered to date.Time necessary for varnish to dry determines the schedule.  Cathy is going to send out the maintenance schedule to all the members to show them what's involved in keeping the boats in the water, and ask for more volunteers.  Members discussed the possibility of a canvas cover for the bow of the Star to protect it from the weather while in the shelter.  The Annie C will be pulled when the Star is splashed.  The Star will have new foam in the seat covers, and Marilyn requests feedback before more is purchased.

Races:  Lady OARS raced at Lake Sammmamish on the 14th.  The entire drain plug assembly came out when the plug was unscrewed after the race. She is back in the water after a quick repair at Emerald Marine. Next scheduled races are Port Townsend on Sept. 9 and Lake Samish on Sept. 22.  A flag from participation in the Classic Mariners' Regatta in June is looking for a home, possibly in the shelter. 

Meeting adjourned at 8:19.

Priscilla Legg, secretary

 

 

 

MINUTES OARS MEETING JULY 6, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

Meeting was called to order at 7:30 AM.  Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, past president Jack Darnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, secretary Priscilla Legg, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, five members and one guest..  Minutes of June 15 were read and approved.

REPORTS

Fourth of July Parade:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Participation with Glide, 6 dancing boats and teddy bear in his pfd well received.  Many favorable comments.

Newbie Rows: Cathy Schaeffer.  Chris Mathes is coordinator for the introductory rows starting  next week, 9:30 Friday July 13.  Robin and Cathy are coordinating masters.  Jack Darnton will get info to paper, and Mindy will check with Chris about sidewalk signs.

Finance:  Marilyn Sollers.  Money from the sailboard sales at the messabout received.  Balances:  operating fund - $8639.68; community outreach fund - $11,190.46; capital fun + CD - $23,091.17.  

Membership:  Mindy Sorenson.  One new member, Mark Millman.  Boshie Morris has resigned her membership.

Communications:  Jack Darnton.  Go-Pro camera has been returned after the 70/48 race.  We need a checkout system.  Art Shotwell was a guest at the June board meeting and talked about developing a new web site for a possible cost of $1000 plus hosting and maintenance costs.  Actual development costs will depend on what the club wants for the site.  A new responsive site would be available on multiple devices and would be able to use free services such as Google analytics and security.  Jack will talk to Kevin Pratt about the new website for the AWA.

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Charlie is working on replacement gear for the Glide.

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  The Star is at Emerald Marine, and Robin is emailing a work schedule to all masters to have their crews sign up for work.  The red trailer has been sold for $295.  

Lady OARS:   Robin Pestarino.  Next scheduled race is July 14 at Lake Sammamish.

Boat damage:  Boshie Morris.  Boshie said she felt the club did not adequately respond to the damage to her boat at the messbout.

Meetin adjourned.  8:15 AM.

Priscilla Legg, secretary

 

MINUTES OARS MEETING JUNE 15, 2018, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

Meeting was called to order at 7:30 AM.  Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, past president Jack Darnton, secretary Priscilla Legg, treasurer Marilyn Sollers and ten members.  Minutes of June 1 were read and approved.

REPORTS

Bob Pickett Memorial:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Scheduled for June 24 at Seafarers' Park.  Beth Bell volunteered to be in charge of the 3:00 boat salute.

4th of July Parade:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Susan Guterbock is in charge of the dancing boats.  Volunteers are still needed to march and carry the banners.  Robin would like to see the club's 40th anniversary recognized. 

Treasury:  Marilyn Sollers.  Moorage increased by $17.94 for the two slips. Marilyn brought a copy ofthe book Old Folks in the Boat by new member Becky Coffield to share.

Communications:  Jack Darnton.  Go- pro camera plus extra battery, charger, memory card and accessory pack was purchased for a total of $379.71.  Motion:  The club will reimburse Jack for the costs exceeding the authorized $350.00.  Passed.  Art Shotwell will attend the next board meeting to talk about a new website. 

Seventy/48 Race:  Adair Orr.  Crew finished 21st over all in 16+ hours. They matched their float plan pretty well, and finished with no physical problems. 

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  The Star is now at Emerald Marine for maintenance.  The Annie C will be pulled when the Star is back in the water.  Charlie is working on a basket and paddle for the Glide.

Guemes Island row:  Steve McLean.  Steve is planning an out-of-area row around Guemes Island with a stop at Pelican Beach on Cypress Island for Wednesday, June 20.

Races:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Next scheduled races are Rat Island on June 23, and Lake Sammamish on July 14.

Meeting adjourned at 8:26.

Priscilla Legg, secretary.

 

MINUTES OARS MEETING JUNE 1, 2018, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

Meeting was called to order at 7:30 AM.  Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, past president Jack Darnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, secretary Priscilla Legg, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, and nine members.  Minutes of May 18 were read and approved,

REPORTS

Deaf School:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Program is over for the school year.  Next year's plans are to have a one month program in the fall and in the spring to avoid the intervening bad weather months

Waterfront Festival:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Still looking for sign-ups to help with the booth, and moving the Glide to and from the site  

Treasury:  Marilyn Sollers.  Haven't received funds from boat sales yet.  Totals:  operating fund -  $8785.26,   community outreach fund - $4874.79,  capital fund and CD - $22933.02.

Bob Pickett Memorial:  June 24, 2-4PM at Seafarer's Park.  Suggestion that OARS put one or two boats on the water for a salute.

Go-Pro Camera.  Jack Darnton.  Moved:  If we can't borrow one before the 70/48 race, OARS purchase a Go-pro camera for an amount up to $350.  Passed. The camera will be used to document the boat in the 70/48 race and for other events.

Waterfront Alliance (formerly Small Boat Center):  Jack Darnton.  Kevin Pratt has put out his first blog, and Jack would like to see it forwarded to OARS members

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Out-of-area plans for the Classic Mariners' Regatta and the 70/48 race have been approved.  

Maintenance:  Glide is in the water and has minimal keaks.  Charley is working on replacing gear and paddles.

4th of July:  cathy Schaeffer.  Need volunteers for parade.  Susan G. is in charge of boat-dancers.

Boat damage:  Beth Bell, Cathy Schaeffer.  Boshie would like an apology for the damage to her boat at the messabout.  The club has been unable to find anyone on the dock or in the Bonaventure with any knowledge of an incident sufficient to cause the damage.  Cathy will send a letter expressing the club's regrets for the damage and explaining our position.

Meeting adjourned at 8:10.

Priscilla Legg, secretary.

 

 

MINUTES OARS MEETING MAY 18, 2018, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

Meeting was called to order at 7:30 AM.  Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, past president Jack Darnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, secretary Priscilla Legg and nine members.  Minutes of May 4 meeting were read and approved.

REPORTS

Messabout:  Cathy schaeffer reported two donated dinghys were sold for $330.00 at the swap meet.  Also sold: some sailboards. Approximately 15 community members were taken out for rows in the Annie C and the Elizabeth Bonaventure.  More publicity is needed to involve the community.   Frank Orr has sign frames from the the antique machinery group that he will donate to OARS.  He also suggested wallet cards as an effective, inexpensive way to advertise events.  Beth Bell asked the treasurer to check whether OARS had donated to support the messabout. 

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  13 of 16 masters completed the sea trial at the rodeo.  Comments:  man overboard drill needed to be more realistic, in open water with more weight.

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  Glide will be examined on Monday. 

Waterfront Festival:  Cathy Schaeffer.  More volunteers are needed for the booth and for set up and take-down,  See Cathy.

70/48 race:  Star will be pulled for two races on Memorial Day weekend, and returned after 70/48 race, approximately June 14.   Practice row on May 12 was good experience and took less than seven hours, better than expected.

Lake Whatcom race:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Lady Oars participated in perfect weather and took a red ribbon behind a 4+ shell.

Meeting adjourned at 8:00.

Priscilla Legg, secretary.

 

 

MINUTES OARS MEETING MAY 4, 2018, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

Meeting was called to order at 7:30 AM.  Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, past president Jack Darnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, secretary Priscilla Legg and 17 members.  Minutes of April 20th meeting were read and approved.

REPORTS

Messabout:  Peter Heffelfinger, Andy Stewart.  Robin has organized crews to provide community rides from 10:00 to noon.  Chris Mathes is providing A-frame sign boards. Help is needed for set-up from 8:30 to 9:00.  Cathy and Bill will transport two dinghies from David Jackson's hou- se to the swap meet.

Masters' Rodeo:  Skip Dassler.  Rodeo will be at 2:00 with three staions:  knots, rig-for-towing, and man overboard.  Rodeo is designed as a continuing education situation for masters to work together with each other and share knowledge while completing their required 5-year sea trial.  Considerable discussion of ways to recover a man overboard started that process.

Treasurer's report:  Marilyn Sollers.  Fund balances: operating - $7,908.90, community outreach - $4,874.79, capital - $10,898.46.  A request was made to reconsider the viability of family memberships.

T-shirts:  Cathy Schaeffer.  OARS has more small t-shirts than small people.  Motion to give smalls to the deaf school rowers and reimburse the operating fund from the community out reach fund.  Passed.

Meeting adjourned at 8:06.

 

Priscilla Legg, secretary

 

 

MINUTES OARS MEETING APRIL 20, 2018, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

Meeting was called to order at 7:31 AM.  Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, past president Jack Darnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, secretary Priscilla Legg and nine members.  Minutes from meeting of April 6 were read and approved.

REPORTS

New trailer:  Peter Heffelfinger.  New trailer has been assembled and is under the Preston.  Trailer for the Annie C is in the new area.

Treasury:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Cathy is handling routine matters untol the return of Marilyn at the end of the month.

Messabout:  Andy Stewart. Theme this year is to get more people out in small boats.     OARS will be taking people out for rows.  The Messabout will include a swap meet, hoist training , the OARS masters' rodeo, potluck, and a Friday evening talk by Jay Smith on the construction of the Viking ship. Help is neede for setup, take-down and signage.

Communications:  Jack Darnton.  Jack and others are having problems signing on to the membership list,  Bill Testerman is making slides into movie on Vimeo.

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  Submitted an updated maintenance schedule for the boats.  The Rescue still needs to be added to the schedule.  No action on the Glide, yet.  There is a crack in the starboard bow of the Erica.

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Adair ia a new master.  Beth Bell retreived an old email saying Andy Stewart had passed his master's exam in 2006.  The out-of-area request for the 70/48 and for Jetty Island race has been approved.  Adair is planning a s-7 hour out-of-area practice row for May 12.  The sea trial for 5-year master renewal at the messabout rodeo will have three stations:  knots. towing harness, and man overboard drills. Skip has new lines with eye splices for the boats.

.Bylaws:  Cathy schaeffer.  A list of housekeeping changes will be submitted to the committee for revision.

Meeting adjourned.

 

Priscilla Legg, secretary.

Meeting adjourned

 

 

MINUTES OARS MEETING APRIL 6, 2018, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

Meeting called to order at 7:05 AM due to library scheduling problems.  Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, past president JackDarnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger., secretary Priscilla Legg and eight members.  Minutes from meeting March 16 were read and approved.

REPORTS

New oars for Erica:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Oars have been completed and are being varnished.

New trailer:  Peter Heffelfinger.  Trailer has arrived and work party is scheduled for Sunday to fit it to the Erica.

Photograph:  Peter Heffelfinger. Two copies of the photo of Bob Pickett and crew have been framed.  Motion to reimbuse Peter $105 for cost.  Passed.

Treasury:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Operating fund -  balance of $8707.85.  Community outreach fund - $4874.79,  Capital fund - $10968.19.

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  Robin submitted a written report on the estimated replacement dates and costs for the boats.  Discussion centered on the difficulties of estimating life expectancy of the boats.  The Bonaventure and the Rescue need to be added to the list and the maintenance rotation.

Master's renewal exams:  Skip Dassler.  The two-year self- grading written exam is ready and will be sent out to masters of record.  The five -year sea trial is still being finalized with an emphasis on continuing education.

70/48 race:  Skip Dassler.  Float plan has been recived for the Island Star.  Masters still need to be qualified.  No chase boat is needed, as the Coast Guard is monitoring the race.

Website:  Jack Darnton. Option for discussion:  more space can be bought on the the existing website for $24 or $69/month.  

NEW BUSINESS

Small boat center:  Kevin Pratt.  Kevin has been appointed the community boating director by the SBC board.  He discussed his plans dor the position this year.  The youth Dynamics program is on hold for now.

Meeting adjourned at 7:48.

Priscilla Legg, secretary

 

MINUTES OARS MEETING MARCH 16, CATHY SCHAEFFER'S HOUSE

Meeting was called to order at 7:30 AM.  Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, past president Jack Darnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, secretary Priscilla Legg and six members.  Minutes from March 2 were read and approved.

REPORTS

Preston storage:  Peter Heffelfinger.  Nothing from city on MOU.

Treasurer:  Marilyn Sollers.    OARS has received a $2000 anonymous donation for the purchase of an aluminum trailer.  The trailer has been ordered and should arrive by the end of the month.  The two oars for the Erica have been completed and given to Torgy for final varnishing.  Cost: $1600 ($0.38 over budget).  OARS has received six donations, total of $300, as memorials for Bob Pickett.  Marilyn is sending thank you cards to the the donors and a card naming the donors to Erica Pickett.  Marilyn and Mindy have completed a reconciliation of the number of members and the membership funds received.

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  The chamber of commerce is looking for a volunteer to supervise the Channel of Discovery 501(c)3 area at the Waterfront Festival where OARS and other nonprofit organizations have their display booths.  Robin has details. The spring wine festival is also looking for volunteers. Robin circulated photographs that could be used for Boys of 36 mural.

Boat longevity committee met and recommends that the Glide be repaired, if feasible. Andy Stewart and David Jackson will examine her with the aim of making her seaworthy before the Erica is pulled for maintenance in July. At the committee meeting Andy estimated a cost of $3000 to $4000 if a plank must be replaced.  He recommends oiling the boats when they are put in dry storage, and rotating the Glide and the Erica yearly. With the aging of the boats, the club should begin discussions on how many and what kind of replacements are wanted for what future activites.

Frank and Adair worked onthe shelter, including the hard-to-reach top.  Adair received  a free rowing card.

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  70/48 race requires a chase boat.  Lady Oars Bellingham Bay race cancelled for lack of a dock.

NEW BUSINESS

Bob Pickett:  Peter has posted an old OARS photo of Bob Pickett and would like to have it enlarged and presented to Erica.

Bylaws: Bylaws referred to committee for updating.

Priscilla Legg, secretary

 

MINUTES OARS MASTERS MEETING MARCH 2, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

Meeting was called to orderat 7:30 AM. Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, past president Jack Darnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, Treasurer Marilyn Sollers, secretary Priscilla Legg and 13 members .  Minutes of February 16 were read,amended to show $400 maintenance cost for mural if it is purchased, and approved.  

REPORTS

Preston storage area:  Peter Heffelfinger.  Frank Orr will remove remaining items from the additional storage area amd OARS may use it with the proviso that if the Tommy Thompson train runs again, it will have prior claim on that area.  Some work needs to be done outside for convenient trailer access.

Membership:  Mindy Sorensen.  Members:  78 individual, 27 families, 11 honorary. Only two of last year's members have not been heard from. 

Treasurer:  Marilyn Sollers.  Balances:  operating fund - $4924.02; outreach fund - $4874.79; capital fund - $12,286.52.  Bill Testerman says taxes filed and paid.

Communications:  Jack Darnton.  Both the OARS rowing video and the Viking ship are up an running on the web site

Mural Project: Funding for project is uncertain.  Club will try to ask for donations.

New trailer:  Motion:  that the club commit funds to pay for a new trailer if donation does not cover the purchase.  Passed.

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Has out-of-area request for Lady OARS for Bellingham Bay race on March 10  Cathy is exploring the possibility of a second for the 70/48 race.  Skip is checcking policy on chase boat for that race.

NEW BUSINESS

Web updates:  .Bill Testerman.  Asks that he be used as regular contact person for updating website.

OARS gear:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Would like to know what gear we have stored in various places.  Looking for items for a possible swap meet at the messabout.

Meeting adjourned ar 8:14.

Priscilla Legg, secretary


 

 

MINUTES OARS MEETING FEBRUARY 16, ANACORTES PUBLIC LIBRARY

Meeting was called to order at 7:30.  Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, past president Jack Darnton, secretary Priscilla Legg, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, and nine members.

Minutes from February 2nd were read and approved.

REPORTS

Vice president:  Peter Heffelfinger.  Still working with city on MOU for the space under the Preston and pursuing additional space.

Treasurer:  Marilyn Sollers.  CD renewed for 7 months.

Membership:  Mindy Sorensen.  Still seven members not renewed.  Most are out of town.

Communications:  Jack Darnton.  Rowing video has been compressed to fit in website using Vimeo  Jack would like to see if can use the same program for the digital pictures.  

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  Robin would like a small committee to evaluate the Glide and to project the life expectancy of each of the boats.

Mural Project:  Robin Pestarino.  Robin spoke to Bill Mitchell.  Nothing will be done until April.  Bill would like a 12-foot oar to be part of the mural.  Possible sites are the Guemes ferry dock, Seafarer's Park or Pier 1 building.  Cost:  $800.00 to sponsor, $1600. plus $400 maintenance fee to own.

Cruise ships:  Robin Pestarino.  Two cruise ships will be coming to Anacortes April through October.  Chamber of Commerce is looking for tour guides at $75.00/hour.

Safety/Scheduling:  Skip Dassler.  Skip is still making changes to the rowing schedule,  He is the contact for any out-of-area row or off-schedule row.

LaConner race:  Steve McLean, Robin Pestarino.  Men's and women's crews both finished the race in fine shape, although the men took a 10-minute rest break on a log in the middle of the race.  Steve said it looks like the Erica's stern is about 5 degrees off center.  Robin said money has been donated to purchase another aluminum trailer to replace the heavy red trailer.  

Seventy48 race:  Robin Pestarino.  Adair is putting together a float plan for the race on June 11-12.   

ASL classes:  Deaf school faculty is offering a free 6-week ASL class starting Tuesday, Feb.20, 5:30-7:00 at B-EHS.

Meeting adjourned at 8:07.  

Priscilla Legg, secretary.

 

 Minutes, OARS meeting February 2, 2018, Anacortes Public Library

Meeting was called to order at 7:30 AM.  Present:  president Cathy Schaeffer, past president Jack Darnton, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, secretary Priscilla Legg, treasurer Marilyn Sollers and eleven members.

Minutes from meeting of January 19 were read an approved.

REPORTS

Vice president:  Peter Heffelfinger.  Still working with city on paperwork for boat storage under the Preston.  Peter will check for any additional available space.

Treasurer/Finance:  Marilyn Sollers.  Report has a new format and is now done in Excel.  Balances:  operating fund - $7839.93;  community outreach fund - $4874.79; capitol fund - $12,266.52.   

Membership:  Mindy Sorensen.  27 members from last year unpaid right now.

Communications;  Jack Darnton.  Jack has had no response from the high school on compressing the video.  He is taking suggestions from members.

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  The accumulation of water in the Annie C is apparently from weather and dripping oars, clothes, etc.  Water in the bottom should be sponged out after use.  The Erica needs some work on the rudder.

Shelter:  Walter Guterbock.  Walt has glued some loose parts and reolaced ties as needed.  

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Two crews have submitted float plans for the LaConner Sound Rowers race on February 2.  A crack was noted on the Glide when it was pulled.  It may be near the end of its useful life.

Scheduling:  Skip Dassler.  Skip has updated the rowing schedule, and is waiting for Bill Testerman's return to post on the web site.

NEW BUSINESS

Youth Dynamics:  Kevin Pratt.  He has approval from his organization for his program and is now looking for a slow start in April.  YD and OARS need to develop a working agreement for the use of the Bonaventure.  Kevin is working towards qualifying as a master.

Anemometer:  Torgy Torgersen:  The marina anemometer routinely quits working over night, and only starts again after marina personnel arrrive at work in the morning, too late to be useful for the early crews. Torgy would like the club to formally request the port to have it working 24/7.  Cathy will write a letter.

Oars for Erica:  Torgy Torgersen.  Torgy will discuss with Andy Stewart having the #2 and #3 oars made from Douglas fir instead of laminate.

Don Hume mural:  Robin Pestarino.  Robin would like to revive the idea of having a Bill Mitchell mural of Don Hume made.

Seventy48 race:  Adair Orr.  Adair is interested in organizing a crew for the 70-mile, 2-day race from Tacoma to Pt. Townsend on June 11-12.  The Salish Stat is entering.

OARS gear:   Jackie Boss.  Gear will only be sold at the masters meeting each month.  T-shirts on hand are $5.00 off.  Jackets and vests require a minimum combined order of six.

Meeting adjourned at 8:12.

Priscilla Legg, secretary.

 

Minutes, OARS  meeting January 19, 2018, Anacortes Public Library

Meeting was called to order at 7:30AM.  Present:  president, Cathy Schaeffer, vice president Peter Heffelfinger, secretary Priscilla Legg, treasurer Marilyn Sollers, and six members.

Minutes from January 5 were read and approved.

REPORTS

Finance and Membership:  Bill Epler.  Official transfer to new treasurer, Marilyn Sollers is not yet complete due to illness.   About half the dues for 2018 have been received.  The letter for new members has been updated.

Deaf School:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Students will not resume rowing until March.  The time of the rows will be changed to Wednesday afternoons to accommodate the sailing program.

Communications:  Jack Darnton.  The small boat center has Steve Orsini working with the high school sailing program.  They're still looking for someone to so the summer program.  Filling the coordinator position is second priority.

The rowing video is too big to post, so Jack has contacted the school  about a way to compress it.

Maintenance:  No report.  There was discussion about the amount of water in the Annie C and possible reasons.  Cathy Schaeffer suggested crews record observations in the log book.

Safety:  Skip Dassler.  Lady OARS have filed a float plan for the LaConner race on February 3.  Current information for the rea is contradictory.  Dunlap Towing in La Conner are the experts on the current there.

Scheduling:  Skip Dassler.  Skip will work with Mindy updating the boat rowing schedule.

NEW BUSINESS

Boat storage under the Preston:  Bret Lunsfrord told Peter Heffelfinger that the city has no paper trail for OARS use of the area under the Preston.  The city would like to create paperwork.  Peter was referred to Frank Orr for the history of the arrangement.

Boat cleaning:  Cathy Schaeffer.  Cathy will organize a work party to clean donated boats so they can be sold. 

Meeting was adjourned at 7:47.

Priscilla Legg, secretary.

 

 

Minutes, OARS Masters meeting January 5, 2018, Anacortes Public Library

Meeting called to order at 7:30.  Present:  Cathy Schaeffer president, Peter Heffelfinger vice president. Priscilla Legg secretary, and 14 members.

Minutes of December 15 meeting were read and approved,

Committee reports and updates

Deaf School:  Cathy Schaeffer.  School will be resuming next week.

Communications:  Jack Darnton.  No report.

Finance:  Bill Epler, outgoing treasurer,In the absence of Marilyn Sollers.  Balances: operating fund - $4,410.90, capital fund - $23,937.39, outreach fund - $21,372.21.  Bill also reviewed the year-end financial statements.  New rowing cards will now cost $50.00.

Membership:  Mindy Sorenson.  Annual membership dues deadline is the end of January.  Please submit a new membership form with your dues.  Liability forms for new rowers require a master's signature.  Old members do not need to fill out annual forms.

Maintenance:  Robin Pestarino.  Robin is coordinating with Andy Stewart and is looking for all the support she can get.  Susan and Walter Guterbock are still doing shelter maintenance.

Safety and Scheduling:  Skip Dassler.  John Guinn has been added to the safety committee.  Masters skills checks for 2017 are almost complete.  Skip is planning a masters' rodeo, probably some time in April to practice skills and check them off.  Andy Stewart suggested some of this could be done at the messabout.

Lady Oars racing team:  Robin Pestarino.  An organizational meetin will be held Saturday, January 6 at Robin's.  The first race is in LaConner on February 2.  Robin stated that the Lady OARS have always paid their own way, and have never requested or received any money from the club towards race participation.  

Steve McLean is working on forming a men's racing team for the LaConner race   Tryouts are scheduled for Thursday, January 11 at 10:00.

Special events:  Vice president Peter Heffelfinger will coordinate participation in the messabout, the Waterfront Festival and the 4th of July Parade.  Cathy Schaeffer will organize the summer picnic/row, the annual business meeting and party.  John Guinn will handle the Veterans' Day participation.

Andy said there is an opportunity to have an event prior to the messabout, and the organizers are open to ideas.

John Guinn will continue serving as representative on the marina advisory committee.

No new business.  

Next board meeting is Tuesday the 23rd, 10:00 in the Chamber of Commerce building.

Meeting adjourned at 8:00.

Priscilla Legg, secretary

 

 

 

 

 

Tags: 2018 minutes